Monday, May 2, 2011

Textbook: New Media Art- Mark Tribe/Reena Iana (Pg. 42-64)

etoy.SHARE
In the 1990's the internet became a great medium for artists. The internet allowed artists to create websites that showed their artwork to anyone who choses to look at the website. Some of the artists chose to represent themselves as corporations with logo's and slogans to go along with the corporation. In 1994 a group of European artists formed a Swiss corporation called Etoy and in 1995 set up their website etoy.com. Their mission statement stated that they are " a corporate sculpture that crosses and blurs the frontiers between art, identity, nations, fashion, politics, technology, social engineering, music, power, and business to create massive impact on global markets and digital culture. Etoy goes where common companies and individuals can't afford to risk to go."

I found it very interesting that artists could even deem themselves as corporations. I love the idea, an artist as a corporation or even a group of artists as a corporation could become a big importance in society if done correctly. Also, using the website as an art its-self is basically web design today. When Etoy entered the lawsuit with the toy company eToys and deemed it Toywar I chuckled a bit. I found it ridiculous that the eToys company would be angry in the first place, just inform your customers that etoy is not eToys.com. Its very simple. People wander to the wrong websites all the time. I found the Toywar very funny and I think the artists did a great job in the set up or the game and display especially for the technology 11 years ago. It was a very clever defense on the artists which ended up helping them, which was a huge gamble.

Domestic- Mary Fanagan
"Domestic is a computer game based on a commercially produced game engine called Unreal Tournament." Fanagan used the game engine to create a "home-like environment for the exploration of childhood memories and feelings."

I found this interesting that she would incorporate a video game into her art. Although I most likely wouldn't take a second glance at the artwork in person, I found the idea behind the work to be very interesting and clever. The book talks about her feministic quality int he work, but in the 3 pictures provided I didn't see a gender connection. I barely even saw the childhood connection. but then again I am only looking at a couple pictures from an entire work of art. It would also help if I knew her entire childhood history. However, I even think my own experiences would come out and become a part of my thoughts again.

Telegarden- Ken Goldberg
Telegarden went online in 1995. The idea behind Telegarden is to raise questions about what the artist calls 'Telepistemology'- or "the study of nature of knowledge gained through remote, mediated sources such as internet." This work allows gardeners from all over the world to remotely tend to the garden from the internet in their own home or office.

This is a cool idea! Much like Farmville of today on Facebook, people want to be able to have something to take care of without much thought put into it. If it is in the virtual world there is no need to worry about it unless you have the time for it, because it can always wait and will always be there. Yet, in the early 90's this was a new concept. I can see by just the one picture provided that the artist put a lot of thought into the design and capabilities of the program. The only question I have is : What happens when the flowers die? Other than that this is a well thought out 'game.' It is the mother of Facebook games.

A-trees- Natalie Jeremijenko
Natalie Jeremijenko "creates works that force us to examine the problematic consequences of digital and other technologies, such as cloning robotics, and software." A-trees allows us to watch a 'growth simulation' of a tree on a computer desktop. "A-trees serves as aestheticized monitors" of actual air quality surrounding the area of the computer by using a special meter. The meter measures the amount of Carbon in the air and send it to the computer where a program the bases the growth of the tree to the amount of Carbon in the air. This is a play on global warming. Also, A-trees is programed to look at how much you print paper. It then prints out a sheet with tree rings every time the person uses roughly enough paper to make up a medium size tree. Eventually if enough paper is used and you keep all the tree rings you can see how much a tree can make in paper.

I love this idea of simulation. It would be nice to have now because global warming and climate change are a constant talk among people. If everyone had this program in their house I wonder how many would actually care? Now if the simulated tree actually took the carbon out of the air that would be extremely cool! Yet, I have real plants and Im sure they love the carbon in the air, but can we find a program to help the environment? The idea behind this work of simulated plant life is now a common in daily internet games, but to actually have it bring to your attention what is around you and how much paper your using and how many trees you are killing is a true artwork. To make the participant think about their daily actions. I absolutely would put this on my MAC.

wwwwwwwww.jodi.org- Jodi
This website first appeared in 1993. The home page looks like a script glitch or like someone is just beginning to use Java script. The page looks confusing and full of errors. However, in reality it is a constant change of the blueprint to a bomb in the source code. The glitch look is an aesthetic of the website to play on technology.

I found this an interesting work. I know the first thing I would do if I came across this website; "VIRUS!!" I would close my internet browser so fast you wouldn't know what happened. This is more than just a play on glitches when looking at it from 2011. Now the first thing I think of is virus. People are hacking into networks and reeking havoc on everyone. A great example of this is the recent Playstation Network disaster. A lonely 19 year old boy is being sued by Playstation, his revenge, shut down the entire playstation internet access and steel content from the company. The reason Playstation is suing him, for hacking into the video game Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Now when we look at this artwork it is not just a play on glitches, but a play on hackers and viruses caused by other people. The internet has become a weapon of its own.

Pedestrian- Paul Kaiser and Shelly Eshkar
"Animated Lilliputians move with uncanny verisimilitude over the streets and plazas of Trompe-l'ceil City that has been rendered digitally with near-photographic realism." Motion Capture and 8 volunteers were used to help create the movements for the animation. Pedestrian was inspired by "Crowds and Power" 1960 book by Elias Cantetti, which examines 'follow the leader' and Pack mentality of crowds."

When I first glanced at the picture next to the text and on page 53 I though oh cool pictures. When I looked for a longer period of time I realized the 3D aspect rather than the 'real' aspect of the people. I was in awe by the beauty and instantly said I cant wait to be knowledgable enough to have my renders look that beautifully crafted. The idea behind it is very interesting. Iv always thought about Pack mentality, but never pondered much about it. I wish that in the book I could hear the soundtrack that goes with the video. I would become more immersed int he world created and become able to understand more by doing so.

Glasbead- John Kilma
"A psychedelic online art work that enables up to 20 simultaneous participants to make music collaboratively via a colorful 3D interface."

I found this a really cool idea, but i'm not much into music like that so I don't find the attraction. I'm sure it is very fun and greatly interactive. I found the 3D rendering to be well thought out. I like the idea of banging the ends together to make the sound wanted. The interactivity of this work is very well done.

Minds of Concern:: Breaking News - Knowbotic Research with Peter Sandbichler
"Presented in 2002 as part of a group exhibition titled 'Open_Source_Art_Hack'
at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York. The Minds of Concern:: Breaking News consisted of an online website and a physical instillation. The website featured Port-Scanning software that searched for security vulnerabilities on the internet servers of selected non government organizations and media artists. The goal was to 'pinpoint the dilemma of the NGO's and Media artists having to protect an independent and progressive political and social practice through security measures which are constantly being tried, tested, and attacked with ever new invasive tools."

I found this work very cool. Most people don't realize how many holes are in their security for their network and computer. This work reveals the exact vulnerability of the system. I was sad to hear in the book that the actual scanning was shut down due to the release of this information to possible hackers, but you would think that the companies would thank the artist and then proceed to find a way to fix and fill in the vulnerabilities. I guess people just don't think logically. I am pretty sure the average person interacting with that work don't know the first thing about hacking into a company network.

Dialtones: A Telesymphony -Golan Levin with Scott Gibbins, Gragory Shakar and Yasmin Sohrawardy
"First performed in 2001 at Ars Electronica Festival in Linz Austria. Dialtones calls to attention the new kinds of social relations that have arisen around mobile phones." The artists have the guests download a dial tone and then take the guests phone numbers with permission and ad them to a Que. Once the artist begins each person is given a list of numbers and times of exact calling. The music begins each phone is called in the tonal order wanted by the artist. Eventually all the phones are ringing in procession and creating music.

This is absolutely great. Because I am so irritated by people and their ringtones in places where we should not hear them, like a movie or a restaurant. Now the noise can become a musical phenomenon. I wish I could have been in the performance because now the viewer is a participant and if they are to leave then the performance will cease to be what it is supposed to be. Very inventive, I think this should be done in a happening.

My Boyfriend Came Back From The War - Olia Lialina
1996 this Net Art Project tells a story of 2 lovers who are reunited after an unnamed war. Fragments of dialogue and un recognizable photos are on screen to be interacted with. The dialogue is hard to understand and very choppy, but it tells the story of the couple reuniting.

I like this work because it shows truth to what it is like for 2 people who have been apart for such a long time. They are often awkward and grown apart and must learn who each other are as people again. I think the choppiness of the work helps to show this disconnect between the lovers.

Vectorial Elevation - Rafael Lozano-Hemmer
Hemmer placed 18 robotic search lights around Mexico City's Zocalo, to celebrate  the new millennium. The participants used web based interface to control the searchlights and choreograph a pattern on the night sky.

This is a neat work. Although to me it seems like a light show. Although the participants can move the lights I still don't exactly see the 'Art.' Don't get me wrong it is very beautiful, but what is so special about it? Is it special because people from all over the world could participate?

No comments:

Post a Comment